What are your top ten favorite songs from the 90s?
- 10. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
Ok, you cannot think of the early 90s without thinking of Vanilla Ice and his infamous "Ice Ice Baby". Still one of my favorites today, I can remember singing to it in music class when I was in 6th grade like it was yesterday! Word to your mother!
- 9. No Limits by 2 Unlimited
2 Unlimited were another great dance band that were extremely underated. This is such an upbeat, positive song, that it literally brings tears of joy to my eyes! (It was also my drill team tryout song back in '94!)
- 8. Vision of Love by Mariah Carey
Mariah, the undoubted diva of the decade. This is the enchanting ballad that introduced her to the world. It is still my all-time favorite song of hers even after all these years.
- 7. Come As You Are by Nirvana
Considered the best band of the 90s, this song is my absolute favorite by them! There is something mind numbing and enchanting about the main riff, I can't really describe it...it just sounds so 90s!!
- 6. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden
Hey, finally some alternative! I love this song! It's so eerie, beautiful and scary all at the same time. The David Lynch-esque video fit the song PERFECTLY!
- 5. The Power by Snap!
OOh, here's another 90s dancefloor classic!
- 4. World Clique by Deee-lite
I love this song so much! It has a powerful message, and is a great, VERY revolutionary piece of electronica history! BTW, Deee-lite was perhaps THE greatest dance band of the decade, but were sadly ingored by the general public (as was most great 90s music :()
- 3. Go by Moby
Moby, the Father of Electronica takes "Laura Palmer's Theme" from "Twin Peaks" and remixes it, turning it into the club kids' anthem. Very experimantal and revolutionary for it's time.
- 2. Gypsy Woman by Crystal Waters
Oooooooooooooooh!! That spine tingling R&B/techno piano riff that was so popular in early 90s dance music gives me chills! It's odd how a song about a homeless woman is best remembered as one of the 90's most famous dance tracks!
- 1. The Promise of a New Day by Paula Abdul
I think this is my absolute favorite song of the decade. I never get tired of it! It is so beautiful, uplifting, positive, and gives you a wonderful feel-good sensation. Sort of "Chicken Soup for the Soul" set to music!! I love it! Paula Abdul was the early 90s disco queen!
I leaned more towards dance music than anything else, because that is what I listened to for the majority of the decade, and being a dance music fanatic, I believe the 90s simply had the best, and most diverse choices. These were the songs that really defined the decade for me, and that I can remember the best! Peace, Lori
- 10. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
How can we forget him???
- 9. Groove is in the Heart by Deee-lite
tha funkiest dance song.
- 8. Killing Me Softly by Tha Fugees
Everybody was feelin' this joint!!
- 7. Nothin' But A G Thang by Dr. Dre f/ Snoop Dogg
I think this was like tha first time we heard from Dre since NWA and tha intro to tha Snoop D O double G.
- 6. Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-A-Lot
One of dem good booty grooves.
- 5. Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince
Tha ULTIMATE summer jam.
- 4. Can't Touch This by M.C.Hammer
C'mon now u know that we all used to that dance.
- 3. If by Janet Jackson
in '93 Janet came back with that same sense of control she had first displayed in '86 and she had this whole new look and attitude.
- 2. I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston
Everybody knows this song whether or not they like, even if they know only the chorus.
- 1. Scream by Micheal and Janet Jackson
This song stands out in my mind 'cause it was good to see the two of them dancin' and singin' together.
There were alot of good songs basically tha ones that introduced us to some tha 90's biggest stars, like Brandy and tha Backstreet Boys, and some fine come back like Will Smith and my boo Jordan Knight.
- 10. School Boy Dad by The Daze
A fantastic song by a fantastic unsigned band.
- 9. This Is Music by the verve
says it all!!!
- 8. Creep by Radiohead
Sums up the confused feelings of a student in love with someone who doesn't love them back
- 7. From Despaire to Where by Manic Street Preachers
Richey Edwards was a genius.
- 6. Road Rage by Catatonia
just says everything about the late nineties
- 5. There She Goes by the laa's
The fact that it was used in So I married an Axe Murderer, just shows how fantastic it is
- 4. Local Boy in the Photograph by Stereophonics
The baa baa baa, just says it all.
- 3. Groove is in the Heart by dee-lite
good to boogie along to, better than love shack anyway.
- 2. Song 2 by Blur
well, the name says it all.
- 1. Live Forever by Oasis
The best song of the decade, always gets everyone singing along.
They are all pretty indie, but I'm a student, so what else do you expect. the number ten song, no one will know, but believe me, it's great.
- 10. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
I was always more of a Pearl Jam fan...especially after they suggested that Pearl Jam was just copying them. Ok, sure...the two sound nothing alike. But that's beside the point. This is not the best Nirvana song out there, but I put it on the list because of what it signified...the beginning of a new era in rock.
- 9. Devil's Haircut by Beck
Well, Beck is just cool....and his originality was definitely a breath of fresh air. I liked "Loser", but it was seriously overplayed. This song was much funkier.
- 8. Come Undone by Duran Duran
I was so happy to see Duran Duran come back with such success in the '90s. This song wasn't as popular as the Beatlesque "Ordinary World", but I thought it was much better.
- 7. Photograph by The Verve Pipe
One of my favorite new bands of the '90s that are extremely underappreciated. This was their first single, and even though I have a few others of theirs that I like better, this is the first song that comes to mind when I think of them...and it's just good, straight-ahead rock.
- 6. Fell On Black Days by Soundgarden
Ah....Chris Cornell...whatta man. This song just kicks ass.
- 5. Friends in Low Places by Garth Brooks
This song helped bring country music into the mainstream, helping to pave the way for artists like Shania and Faith Hill. And if there was a list of top 10 drinking songs, this would be very near the top.
- 4. What's Up by 4 Non Blondes
I honestly don't think I know anyone who doesn't like this song. A great sing along tune.
- 3. I Got Id by Pearl Jam
Definitely the best band of the '90s. I'm not sure if this is my absolute favorite song of theirs (that changes a lot) but it's such a great rock song with emotional lyrics that are almost whispered at first and then it just explodes.
- 2. Torn by Natalie Imbruglia
I absolutely love this song. It reminds me so much of college. Well, a lot of songs remind me of college, but my roommate and I performed this song for our neighbors on a daily basis...much to their dismay I'm sure.
- 1. You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette
Angry young women, unite! If you're a girl and you couldn't think of one guy in your life that this song reminded you of, you're very lucky and need to be smacked.
This was pretty damn hard. I'll probably think of 100 songs that I also could've put on this list after I submit it.
- 10. Israel's son by Silverchair
Told ya it'd be on my top 10 songs... hehehe
- 9. Come as you are by Nirvana
Another classic, shouldnt be left out right?
- 8. Groove is in the heart by Deee-Lite
This is like THE best dance song!!!
- 7. Dont you (forget about me) by Simple Minds
I LOVE IT!! "Breakfast club" is one of my fave movies because of that... hehe
- 6. Come undone by Duran Duran
I think it's their best song.
- 5. Losing my religion by REM
A classic, amazing song...
- 4. No rain by Blind Melon
I just love this song...
- 3. Jeremy by Pearl Jam
How can anyone NOT like it?!
- 2. Crack the liars smile by Drain sth
It's on their 1st album "horror wrestling", it just simply rocks!
- 1. Vow by Garbage
My very fave song EVER!!!!
This should be a top 11 songs so I could add Hole's "Violet". So let's say it's tied with Silverchair on #10, mkay? hehe
By: Diana Mochamad
- 10. When You Believe by Mariah Carey & Whitney Houston
- 9. It's All Coming Back by Celine Dion
- 8. Only If by Enya
- 7. Praying For Time by George Michael
- 6. I Always Love You by Whitney Houston
- 5. Vision Of Love by Mariah Carey
I have the vision !! There's no doubt !!
- 4. End Of The Road by Boyz II Men
Their voice.. so fantastic.
- 3. Heaven And Earth by Al Jarreau
Listening the song and dancing with someone.. it's so romantic..
- 2. Baby You're Mine by Basia
The rhythim of the music, samba and her voice mix together and make this song as perfect as "Brave New Hope". I have the memory with this song, while we celebrating the New Year's party somebody playing this song and everyone in the room dancing together..
- 1. Brave New Hope by Basia
This is my favourite song ever !! Telling the hope for the brighter day, and being optimism. Making me sure that there always be someone to share, someone to help. Actually, Basia is my best singer..
By: Diego Wiltshire
- 10. Nighttime Birds by The Gathering
beautiful song...makes me wanna cry
- 9. The Spider and the Fly by London After Midnight
gotta love it!!! :)
- 8. One Night in Spain by Human Waste Project
not many people know this band that had only one record ,called E-lux, but it's one of my faves of all times...it wass really a wonderfull band...
- 7. Heal it Up/ Mexican Moon by Concrete Blonde
Amazing songs and vocals....ahhhhhhh orgasmic!!!
- 6. Violet by Hole
Go Courtneyyyyy ! kick their ass!!! LOL
- 5. 36 Degrees by Placebo
they're amazing.....when i got their cd couldnt stop listening to that song.....
- 4. Not My Idea by Garbage
perfect mix of pop-rock-punk-eletronica....and great lyrics...damn......that's one hell of a good song!!!
- 3. The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson
it changed my life.....yay ! gotta thank Manson for that...opening my eyes...
- 2. Spin Spin Sugar ( radio edit )/Post Modern Sleaze by Sneaker Pimps
Just orgasmic songs!!!
- 1. Only Happy When it Rains by Garbage
first song that really had an impact on me...and it totally describes my pessimistic ,depressive side...
if you dont know any of these songs i just mentioned...you need to go right now download all of them...!!!
- 10. Same Size Feet by Stereophonics
Everyone always says that local boy is the best 'phonics song but this beats it hands down.
- 9. High by Feeder
Everybody should see this live ... TWICE
- 8. Fake Platic Trees by Radiohead
No comment needed except it could have been higher
- 7. End of a Centuary by Blur
Blur were probably the biggest British band of the 90's and this song off their best selling Parklife album shows them at their peak.
- 6. Can't keep living this way by rootjoose
The most criminally overlooked band ever. THe fact that no-one will have heard of this song is proof to that.
- 5. Wave of Mutilation by The pixies
Probably not quite a 90's song but almost every band that people listen to today have the pixies to thank for their sound - just look at Nirvana.
- 4. Pulling Teeth by Green Day
A really upbeat song by a band who always look like they're having a laugh
- 3. This is yesterday by Manic Street Preachers
One of the most haunting songs by the lyrical genius that is Richey Edwards
- 2. Nancy Boy by Placebo
One hell of a great tune, anyone who knows it will agree.
- 1. Motorcycle Emptiness by Manic Street Preachers
One of the most beautiful songs ever.
- 10. Creep by Radiohead
- 9. Take A Bow by Madonna
- 8. November Rain by Guns n Roses
- 7. Crossroads by Bone Thugs N Harmony
Doesn't anyone else remember this great song?
- 6. No Rain by Blind Melon
Possibly the coolest music video ever!!
- 5. Losing My Religion by REM
There's not another song like it, it's so great.
- 4. Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio
- 3. I will always love you by Whitney Houston
- 2. It's All Coming Back To me now by Celine Dion
This song just makes you wanna sing!
- 1. Killing me softly with his song by Fugees
This is the greatest song of the 90s by far!
Honorable Mentions go to Bjork-It's oh so quiet, Alanis Morrisette-Ironic, Lauryn Hill-Doo Wop (That Thing), And TLC-Waterfalls!
By: Therese Hogan
- 10. Don't Speak by No Doubt
A bittersweet song about breakups... It almost makes me want to cry!
- 9. Return To Innocence by Enigma
This song is so exotic!
- 8. Tears In Heaven by Eric Clapton
Its a tearjerker... This song is beautiful.
- 7. Unforgiven by Metallica
My favorite song by Metallica
- 6. Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chilli Peppers
This will always be my favorite song of theirs.
- 5. Can I Get A... by Jay-Z
This song had everyone bouncing and singing along to the chorus.
- 4. Rumpshaker by Wrex-N-Effect
All I wanna do is a zoom zoom zoom and a boom boom!
- 3. The Sign by Ace Of Base
We all wanted to know what the sign was.
- 2. Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots
My favorite STP song.
- 1. Changes by Tupac Shakur
All of Tupac's songs are wonderful and from the heart, but most people can relate to this song about changes.
All of these songs were very popular during the 90s, but I think its important to note that just because a song is popular, it doesn't mean its the best. There are many great songs out there that go unnoticed.
This page currently edited by: ChuckyG. Past editor: CeramicsFanatic
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.
The Official amIright|
Misheard Lyrics Book